The past two Sundays' sermons have really challenged me and has reminded me of things I need to regularly think about. The first of the two sermons was on homosexuality. You may ask, why would I be needing to think about this regularly? Especially within the Asian Christian community (and even Asian culture), this topic is really taboo and not often spoke about. It was interesting listening to what other believers of Christ felt about homosexuality, particularly since proposition 8 (about legislation of homosexual marriage recognition and benefits) is a hot topic of interest as part of the upcoming presidential election and other politics going on here in the States.
From what I heard two Sundays ago, I'd say many people fell within two schools of thought, where one is the 'fire and brimstone' (traditional) type - people should not tolerate/accept gays and lesbians - and the other school is more liberal and openly accepting homosexuals within the community. By no means am I questioning whether or not homosexuality is acceptable in the eyes of God. It is clear from Lev. 18:22 that lying with another person of the same gender is impure in the eyes of the Lord and from Genesis 1 and 2, God presents the union of Adam and Eve, a man and a woman, not that of the same sex. I think the main point I got out of the sermon, which presented both school of thoughts is how we should treat people. How often do we put a wall between ourselves and other people with a different sexual orientation? Make them outcasts of the community?
An interesting point was made during service: why do we treat homosexuals differently in comparison to others who are lustful and break the laws set by God (with respect to sex and marriage)? I'd have to admit that I do show prejudice against homosexuals, but I think the question stated above, should I be holding this prejudice? It's clear from Matthew 22 that we should 'love our neighbours as ourselves,' the second greatest commandment. I don't think that sexual orientation stops one from being a good Christian, but for many people, homosexuality and Christianity seems like an oxymoron. We're all sinners and sin leads to death without Christ... so how does homosexual acts differ from other sins (like pre-marital sex, lust, etc.) Some food for thought.
I just pray for wisdom and discernment from the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment